Wednesday, March 10, 2010

52 Books in 52 Weeks: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society


I kept seeing this book around the blogosphere and it sounded interesting, so I finally picked up a copy from Paperback Swap.

You know how it is when you hear oodles of raves about a book, right? You go in expecting it to be fabulous. A not-putter-downer. Welllll . . . this book wasn't a not-putter-downer for me.

First of all, I didn't realize that the entire book is written in letter form. It took me a while to get it straight in my head who was who. Once I knew everyone it got more interesting, but honestly I didn't feel bonded with the characters until the end of the book. And then I wished there were more time with them.

It's certainly well-written, witty and interesting. It has a war sort of theme and amazingly, I was really interested in the historical details and wondered about finding out more. And I am not a history buff in the least.

I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars.

2 comments:

  1. Just stumbled over...I am like #843 on Paperback swap for this book!!! How'd you get yours so fast????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Geidlbots, what a wait! I don't know how it happened so quickly. I did just put my copy up and it was snatched up the same day so maybe the requests move fast?

    ReplyDelete