Monday, July 31, 2006

More and more and more pox

Even though I knew that the chicken pox incubation period is 10-21 days, I have to admit that by the end of last week, and absolutely no signs of pox on Graham and Caris, I started to feel pretty confident that they'd missed the pox. I was a little disappointed since it would be so nice to get them out of the way, but of course relieved that my littlest ones weren't getting sick.

Saturday we went to Malachi's all-stars game for baseball. Malachi made all stars! GO BOY! Malachi's not the most explosive player, but he was probably the most consistent player on his team this year. He hit every time he got up to bat the whole season! He kept up the great play and hit 4/4 at the all-stars game. His team whomped the other team, which was especially great since his regular team had lost every game throughout the season.

After the game we headed over to Brea's 9th Birthday party. The boys changed into their swimsuits, and when Graham came over to ask me where his clothes should go, what did I see but a huge, bulging chicken pox on his side! I turned him around and there were several more on his back. Yikes! Graham, Caris & I made a quick exit from the party. I thought I saw a couple little red dots on Caris but her skin is so break-out-ish anyway, who could tell. Well, when we woke up Sunday sure enough, she had several herself.

It's hard being the parent and making the decisions. We are getting about a half & half response to our choice to not vaccinate for chicken pox. Some people think we made a bad move there (why let your child suffer something when a little prick could have prevented it?) and some understand that even though it totally sucks watching them suffer, it will be better in the long run to have just had them and be done with it. Still, it totally sucks watching them suffer. Graham's face must have at least 50 of them already. I can tell his case is going to be much worse than Malachi's. Thank God for Benadryl, Tylenol, oatmeal baths, and Mommy & Daddy love.

On a positive note, I was finally able to order all of our books and art supplies for this coming school year! How fun! I also had a 3-day streak of feeling really good last week and got the dining room bookshelves completely cleaned out. What a relief! I just love looking at them now that they're restored to order.

1 comment:

  1. The vaccine might prevent the pox but is not as reliable as far as reoccurrance (does that make sense? if you get "natural" pox you are less likely to get it again then if you have a vaccine)
    and I am jealous! I need/want to order my stuff.....

    ReplyDelete