Saturday, May 03, 2008

Summer Lovin'

A year or so ago, my friend Susan recommended Egermeier's Bible Story Book. I went online and bought an antique version from eBay and as soon as it arrived, I started reading it to the kids. We all enjoyed it, but the pages were so brittle that I didn't want to handle it too much.

Then my Mom brought over this new version of the same book! HOORAY! It has all the same stories and illustrations but is nice and sturdy.

As our school year winds down, I'm thinking of what we'll do over the summer. Awana will officially be over for the summer as of tomorrow night, and of all our studies, Bible is my top priority with the kids. Egermeier's came to mind, and so I gave each child a notebook and a fresh box of crayons. We wrote the title of the first story and its Scriptural reference at the top of the first page, and as I read the kids colored along in their notebook. By the end of summer they'll each have an illustrated Bible story book that they created on their own, and hopefully the multi-sensory approach will help cement the stories (and the meanings behind them!) in their hearts and minds.

Graham's review: "How did you come up with such a great idea??"

2 comments:

  1. I am so coppying this idea. I have that Bible added to my cart on Amazon and I will be ordering it soon. I have been wondering what to do this summer too! Thanks for the great idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man that really IS a wonderful idea! Maybe I'll even try it with Christian! = ) Or...something that would be a bit more age appropriate. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete