Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Heart to Heart

Last night was funny. I went to bed and read for a while and fell asleep around 10:30. At 11:30 Canaan was ready to join us, so I brought him to bed. He didn't nurse; he just sort of rustled around until he was finally comfortable and drifted off to sleep.

Every couple hours he wanted to nurse. My memory is bleary, but I'd say he nursed a couple times.
Then at 4:30 am, our neighbor's car alarm went off. Lights flashing, siren sounding. The three of us simultaneously erected and peered through the 2nd-story blinds. Somehow the visual image I had of Alif, Canaan and I all looking out the blinds at 4:30 am, as through a video camera, made me laugh. Alif too. Alif got up and made sure the property was safe. Once he returned to bed, he gathered up his little son and fell asleep. Canaan then migrated back to my side of the bed. ;-)
This morning we woke up for good around 6:45. Alif had the cutest heart to heart with Canaan:

Alif: Canaan? You can sleep with us all you want, ok? But you have to be still and leave your mum-mums alone. No mum-mums at night, ok?

Canaan: whine

Alif, laughing: Yeah, you know exactly what I'm talking about, don't you? No more mum-mum at night. Would you like your own pillow for our bed? Would that be good?

Me: LOL

I lay there for another 30 minutes or so, nursing and playing with Canaan while dear Caris voluntarily rubbed lotion into my feet and legs. I am so blessed to have a husband who loves our babies so much but also knows that Mommy needs some SLEEP!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:44 PM

    Dear Canaan,
    When your mommy was your age she liked to wake up at 4:30 in the morning too. She didn't even need a neighbor's car alarm to wake her up. She always seemed so happy to see me at 4:45, too! Don't tell her I said this, but I wondered if she would EVER sleep until 6:45! She was such a sweet baby, but she just didn't like to sleep when she was your age.
    Have a good night tonight - Grandma loves you AND your mommy too.
    Love,
    Grandma Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet!! canaan is a gorgeous little guy : )

    ReplyDelete