Friday, April 10, 2009

The Eye of the Storm

As you probably already know, my Mom faced her second battle with breast cancer recently. She's finished with her treatments, back at work and keeping up carefully with her follow-up scans and tests.

Last Monday she had an endoscopy because a scan showed an area of concern on her esophagus. Well, the esophagus is fine but the doctor found polyps in her stomach and sent them out to be biopsied, as is routine in this situation.

This past Monday, then, we went to meet with the oncologist to see what he had to say about the results of that biopsy.

I think my Mom, her husband Rod and I were probably all equally nervous that morning. As I drove alone to meet them at the doctor's office, I prayed aloud. Until God asked me to sit quietly, so I did - and the song Hope Now came on. It was such an encouragement to me.

Then the doctor presented Very Bad News: he said the polyps were indeed malignant and that they are offshoots of the breast tumor. This automatically classifies my Mom as a Stage IV breast cancer patient. Not good news.

We all spent Monday and Tuesday processing (aka crying). The doctor had basically said - well, we can't do chemo right now (she's had so much already that we need to save chemo in case we really seriously need it someday) - let's just wait for your next scans and see what's going on.

Not good enough, mister doctor man! We met with another doctor on Tuesday afternoon, and let's just say that I haven't cried since. This doctor is much more proactive. He feels that while certainly possible, this diagnosis is "screwy" and he wants to wait for the 2nd opinion to come in on the pathology before doing anything. HOWEVER - he doesn't find it even a little appropriate to wait for our next round of scans. Oh no, baby, we're not going to sit on this. He has a full-blown action plan already lined out just in case we really are dealing with what the first pathology results say we are. Also, we will be seeing a world-class oncologist-specializing-in-breast in a couple weeks.

So. PLEASE be praying, but also know this: we are not blown to and fro when a storm comes. Our hope is in the Lord, and no mater WHAT is swirling around us, no matter what results we are waiting on, no matter what any doctor or test shows, God is good. He promised never to leave us nor forsake us, and never is that more apparent than when we are facing a truly scary situation.

13 comments:

  1. oh Emily i am going to be praying mightly for your family! if there is ANYTHING i can do lease just say the words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm praying honey!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:22 PM

    Oh you girls! I will definitely be praying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, i am so,so,so sorry about this. i will be praying, praying, praying. life is TOUGH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emily, I will be praying as well. We learned this past week that my uncle has throat cancer and possibly thyroid cancer. It is scarry for sure. We are also putting all of our hope in the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cancer is such a scary monster- but I know your faith will not be shaken- and my prayers are with you and your mom. I pray for God's healing hand to be upon her and you. HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dearest Emily,
    My prayers are certainly with your mother and your whole family. I know this has been a very difficult week for all of you. We have a God bigger than any cancer, that's for sure!
    Much love, Kathy Gauthier

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so devistated to hear this news. Your mom has been through so much and has been so strong. I was hoping that she would get a small break from it all. I know that you guys are such an encouragement to her. Praying for all of you, especially your mom. Praying for wisdom from the Drs, effective treatment and NO MORE CANCER!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone - thank you SO much for your support and prayers. It means the world to me and to my whole family. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Emily, I am praying, praying, praying. For your continued hope and faith, for healing of all kinds, for your mother's strength to continue fighting this battle. Hang in there, friend! God can do all things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Me, Misha-Meg and Barbs friend-will be praying for your sweet moma.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I have somehow missed your recent posts until now. I am praying for all of you. BIG HUGS!!!

    ReplyDelete