Friday, January 08, 2010

52 Books in 52 Weeks: The Time Traveler's Wife




I really enjoyed The Time Traveler's Wife! It had been a long time since I'd read fiction, and this challenge was the perfect opportunity for me to go - hey, you know what? If I'm going to read a book a week this year, I will most definitely make time for myself to read some fiction, because that's what I love the most.

The first half of the book was pretty much what I expected from the movie previews. Engaging, romantic, funny. There was a lot more risque content than I had expected. In the second half, I started to grow a little weary of all the time shifting and the vocabulary specific to a time-traveling book. It just got a little old. It also got creepy. Of course, I'm very easily creeped out, so I'm sure this book wouldn't be considered creepy by 99% of the population.

I'm glad I read this book, and it made me want to see the movie, even though watching a movie after reading the book usually annoys me. :-)

52 books in 52 weeks challenge - join in!

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, there was definitely some risque stuff in that one! I liked the movie just as much as the book, but I saw the movie first and read the book after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, sorry. I misspelled there and well, that would drive this anal girl nuts at 3am. I didn't realize there was a movie out about this book. It is on my to-read list but pretty far down. We'll see if I have time for it. Too many books and not enough TIME.

    How risque we talking? You might have to email me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been about 3/4 of the way through this book for quite some time. I am unmotivated to finish reading it because it seems to just be the same thing chapter after chapter. I have definitely lost interest....not to mention I have moved on to several other books in the meantime. Not sure if I will ever go back to it. Is there anything amazing that happens toward the end that would make it worth finishing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree that this book drags a little, but it is a pretty good book. I never saw the movie as I too was a little creeped out and just couldn't picture how some of these things could be represented on film. I'll just settle for the book version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard some really terrible things about this book. It's good to hear someone made it through without regrets ;)

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you on the hive? The worst books of 2009 had the Time Traveler's Wife all over it, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Life Up Your Hearts, The Hive is the Well Trained Mind boards. I'm over there as Daisy. They did a best and worst book of the year thread. I think Time Traveler's Wife actually showed up in both threads. LOL.

    ReplyDelete