Thursday, May 24, 2007

I love you

I love you, Mom. This is a silly thing, maybe, but I have been thinking of this since the moment you said it and have never sat down to blog about it. I think I am afraid that how much this meant to me won't translate in a blog entry. When I was in labor with Canaan and you said you were on your way, I anticipated your arrival. It was a wonderful feeling when you came into the bathroom with a smile on your face, but also the look a mother has when her daughter is in labor. Excited, nervous, praying everything is going to go well. Anyway, at some point you said, "This is the cleanest bathroom I have ever seen!" Obviously it wasn't literally the cleanest bathroom you'd *ever* seen but it was wonderful to be laboring and have my Mom there and speaking words of affirmation. Thank you for that! Every time I clean that bathroom I smile and think of your kind words.

Dad, Alif got me a new iPod and as the kids & I drove home from Costco today, the Paul Simon song "Father and Daughter" came on. I had read the lyrics when you gave me that cd, but I'm not sure I'd actually listened to the song. I am a lucky girl (even though I'm a grown woman with my own kids) to have a Dad who really loves me and isn't afraid to say it. I love you too, Dad.

I'm gonna watch you shine
Gonna watch you grow
Gonna paint a sign
So you'll always know
As long as one and one is two
There could never be a father
Who loved his daughter more than I love you

No comments:

Post a Comment