Saturday, August 09, 2008

Heaven Help Me!

Malachi is 10 years old, so you know, I kind of knew we'd be going through some pre-adolescence kinds of things sooner or later. I've noticed some behavior at times that seemed - well, like he was overreacting or whatever. Today though, oh my. I know he's probably just tired and everything from camp, but man is he emotional! Everything I say seems like a personal affront to him. Right before quiet time it seemed like he might have a complete breakdown, he was so upset at me. I looked at him with his eyes completely full of tears and just wished I could like, meld our minds or something. Doesn't he know how much I love and adore him? Doesn't he know I would do anything for him? That I want him to be happy? That I am not his number-one enemy?

Help, Moms of teenage boys! How do I make him feel loved while also requiring him to be a productive member of our family?

Or am *I* just overreacting? LOL Hoping and praying this improves as he catches up on sleep . . .

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:45 PM

    did he improve? did he?

    ReplyDelete
  2. someone answer the poor mom! It's gonna be me in 5 years!!!

    will be praying for ya'll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily... I just realized that I haven't commented on your blog in forever! I've read everything, but somehow the commenting part slipped my mind. I'm blaming it on being pregnant, as I am doing with everything else these days. :)

    Of course, I have no advice to give you when it comes to this age of child, other than to say I'll be praying for you because I can imagine how difficult it is! What a fine balance you are trying to strike. I shall also be interested to hear what anyone else tells you, to tuck away for future reference. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI!

    I came to your blog through Angie Smith's blog. I found it interesting that you have all these boys (I have three of my own), it sounds like you live in California (I live in NorCal), you homeschool (I have been homeschooling for 6 years) AND you're reading a book that I am also reading... and LOVING (The Last Lecture). So... I thought I'd pop in a quick comment. As for the "teen-age boy thing" I'm only one year ahead of you (my oldest is 11), but I've found the biggest "ticket" has been consistency. I've made sure that he doesn't receive the privileges that come with being older if he doesn't at least TRY to act like he's older. I know that it's a hard stage for them, because their minds want to be older before their bodies can actually handle it. I try to remember not to rush him and his maturity. It will come... and their only kids once. That's just my way of handling it. Nothing profound... pretty simple. Anyhow, I enjoyed reading your blog. We have so many similarities that I feel like I was reading my own! :0)

    ~ Tami
    zoointhehills.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your sweet comments, friends! Malachi's angst only lasted that one afternoon. He's totally back to my normal, happy boy. Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete