Monday, July 14, 2008

It's not sleepytime

As I mentioned recently, Canaan started sleeping through the night at 6 weeks old. However, Alif & I have a low tolerance for hearing him cry and a high tolerance for sharing our bed with him. He can sleep through the night, and does several nights a week. The other nights he is with us, and I'm mostly fine with that. I'm tired some days if he wakes several times to nurse, like he did last night, but usually he just nurses once and sleeps the rest of the night.

A couple nights ago I put him to bed and he cried. I felt like crying too because I was just so exhausted and ready for bed myself. I got into my own bed, opened my Bible and tried to read. I told myself I'd give him five minutes to settle in and go to sleep and if he didn't then I'd bring him to bed with me. I really wanted to read though. The minutes ticked by very . . . very . . . slowly. I couldn't concentrate on my reading. At minute four I heard Alif coming up the stairs. He went in and got Canaan and headed back downstairs.

I got to focus on my reading for a while, until I heard them coming back up the stairs. It seemed much too soon, and sure enough, Canaan cried when Alif laid him back down. I have to admit I thought it was kind of funny. Alif took baby downstairs and fell asleep on the couch with him until 3:00 am, then brought him back to bed, I nursed him, and we all slept until about 7:00.

The next day Alif was playing with Canaan and said, "Dude. You have a sleeping disorder or something."

1 comment:

  1. HUGS! One day he'll be in his own room and his own bed and you'll tuck him in and have to force your mind to remember when he laid in your arms, whacked you in the head, woke you incessantly to nurse every hour and woke up next to you with that baby grin like he was the only one who'd had a great night's sleep :)

    I'd like to say I miss those days.... but nah, I like sleep ;)

    ReplyDelete