Friday, July 04, 2008

Moses Speaks

I'm still plugging away at my Bible read-through. I'm not on any certain program or time line or anything; I just started with the New Testament and kept on reading. (Did I sound like Forrest Gump just then? Read Emily, read!)

I'm in Leviticus now - nearly through it, actually, and well, it's been more of a discipline than a passion in this book. It's interesting reading about the specific laws God gave Moses for the Israelites and sometimes even fascinating. I know that it all serves a bigger purpose than actually making sure the offerings weren't deformed and such, but still, so much of this was wiped from our consciences by Jesus' ultimate sacrifice that I have to admit, I don't read spell-bound or anything.

Also, I read at night before bed so sometimes I'm quite tired as I read. But guess what happened? Last night, for the first time in a while, I slept all night! Woo hoo! I woke up this morning feeling refreshed (thank you Lord) and thought I would spend some quiet time with my Lord before getting up.

And something jumped out at me! Really jumped out. All through Leviticus God says to Moses, "Speak to the people and tell them . . . " Well! Remember not too long before, Moses didn't even want to TAKE this job, he was so afraid of speaking. Some say he might have had an actual speech problem, others say maybe he was just a nervous nellie about public speaking. Either way, he didn't want to do it.

God was sweet as always and provided Aaron to help Moses, and that's the last I remember hearing about that. Until now - over and over God tells Moses to speak to the people. What an encouragement this was to me today! God believes in us! He encourages us over and over to be who He has called us to be, and he guides us every step of the way. He holds our hands when we need it, gives us specific direction when we need that. And He never, ever gives up on us!

No comments:

Post a Comment